Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Scrappy Pincushion Swap Sent!

IMG_0492

My pinnies have been sent off to my partner in the Scrappy Pincushion Swap and since she lives practically around the corner from me they've already arrived at their new home. While I was stalking my partner I saw a snail trail pattern in her favorites and I took that idea and ran with it. I had the idea to make a cube shaped pincushion with each side of the cube using the snail trail pattern. I also had a Bliss charm pack that I won in a giveaway a while back that just seemed to be calling out for this project. I created my first panel without a pattern and it turned out well until the last round, which I ended up having to rip out and start over. The second panel I happened to track down a pattern small enough for my pincushion, but I had a different set of troubles and I ended up abandoning the pattern for the four remaining panels. I am a bit of a perfectionist, especially when I am creating something for someone else, so I am not 100% satisfied with the completed pinnie. I think some of the angles could be a little crisper but my partner seems pleased with the outcome. And hey, it was the first pin cushion I have ever made.

IMG_0495

Since I wasn't completely satisfied with the snail trail cube (and also because I wanted to) I decided to create a second pin cushion for her. This time I went a little whimsical and designed an octopus pinnie. I even added little beaded and sequined "suckers" to his legs. The trouble I ran into on this one was adding the bottom panel. I ended up attaching and re-attaching it probably three times before I was happy with the outcome. His eight little legs made it challenging. But I think he is just so cute and I might have to make another one for myself. I had intended to add a wrist strap to him but ran out of time (sorry partner!). And the pins I made using long quilting needles, some glass beads and a hot glue gun.

IMG_0490

This swap was so much fun! And it was challenging in many ways. I so hope my partner is pleased with the outcome. I loved making these for you Michelle! Enjoy! (And I can't wait to see what is coming my way. It has me checking the mail everyday!)

Did you finish something this week, too? Then hop on over to Sew and Tell and share it too!

8 comments:

  1. Your Octopus is sooo cute! Great job this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are both really cute! And the octopus is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with turning out his legs, I mean tennacles or whatever you call them! Great show of creativity to see one idea and make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both such cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is that! I'm sure is brightens up the room.

    ReplyDelete