Friday, October 28, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival Fall 2011

Amy'sCreativeSide

This is my third time participating in Amy's amazing Blogger's Quilt Festival. I am always inspired by this event, seeing so many amazing quilts and being introduced to an incredibly talented bunch of fellow quilters. As always, thanks to Amy for hosting the 2011 Fall Bloggers Quilt Festival.

IMG_4388

If you are a regular reader of my blog you will recognize my entry into the festival: Ivy's Quilt. Forgive me for showing her again, but she's really my favorite finish to date. My wonderful and amazing husband implored me to make a quilt for Joel, his roommate from law school and subsequently one of his best friends, and his wife Sarah who were expecting their second daughter. I was flummoxed at first. I admire Sarah for her grace, poise and style so I knew that I wanted to create something that reflected the amazing qualities she embodies.

IMG_4396

On a recent journey to Sew Modern, my favorite LQS, I had picked out fabrics for a swap partner and, of course, came home with extra yardage. Looking at the stack I realized that these fabrics had the elegance I wanted to encapsulate in the quilt.

IMG_4287

From top to bottom: Bazaar Style "Gems in Terra" by Patricia Bravo, Bazaar Style "Mosaic in Cream" by Patricia Bravo, Kumari Garden "Stone Tara" By Dena Designs, Mod "House Genie in Lilac" by Annette Tatum, Parisville "French Lace in Sky" by Tula Pink, Bazaar Style "Belly Dancer in Sand" by Patricia Bravo, Central Park "Plaza Trefoil" by Kate Spain & Central Park "Floral Carousel" by Kate Spain.

IMG_4417

It was so romantic, and yummy. Seriously I was in love with this stack. I decided I wanted to keep things simple and showcase, not only the fabrics but the way they played off each other so well. I started to cut strips and made a simple, yet elegant, log cabin of sorts.

IMG_4397

The quilt actually came together very quickly. I was on a deadline, but the pattern was also simple and I pieced and quilted the entire thing in a weekend. I decided to use swatches of the leftover fabrics to piece the back as well and I made a scrappy binding to match.

IMG_4401

I did simple, straight-line quilting and stitched in the ditch so the thread wouldn't overpower the fabric but the quilt would still have a comfy crinkle to it. I also liked the simple rectangle pattern it created on the back.

IMG_4422

After it was completed and sent off to it's new home I missed this quilt. These fabrics are so special and I fell in love with this quilt so I ended up running back to Sew Modern to buy up more yardage of each. And the ones they no longer had in stock I found online. These fabrics still sit in my studio in a simple stack, just quietly apart from the rest of my stash. One day, hopefully soon, I intend to make an adult-sized version of Ivy's quilt for myself. And that quilt will be all for me. But until that day comes I look at that expectant stack and smile. It makes me happy.

30 comments:

  1. What a beautiful baby quilt! I can totally understand that you bought more yardage for yourself. :-) Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading about this quilt a while back on Flickr, I think, and loved it then and still do now. The colours are so restful and it's still girlie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty, love the colours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, Hollie. I like the fabrics, and the design itself is really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautifully elegant quilt, and that fabric will last long past babyhood and into adulthood :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Ivy sure got a beautiful quilt! You're right ... the fabrics are beautiful and just perfect. Love the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, really elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the elegance that Ivy has and the scrappy binding is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You picked lovely fsbrics and love the simply elegant design of it. Know this baby gurl is one lucky little lady. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful quilt, and I can completely understand why those fabrics make you smile - they are lovely! Wonderful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really pretty! What a great group of fabrics...love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a dreamy quilt! Beautiful colours!! The photo of you is really cool, I love that you're sideways, Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful fabrics with such great colours! Simplicity is often the best choice. I can see why you have a little stack for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt design has worked perfectly for this quilt. The colours are lovely. It's a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So....so...sweet! I love the fabrics you used. Very sweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colours are working so well together! No wonder you wanted some more for yourself! Now go and treat yourself and actually make it too, pretty as that stack is on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is beautiful and elegant, you nailed that one for sure! I love the simple design, I think it is perfect for a new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely quilt, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love everything about your quilt! It's modern and I love the fabrics your used.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely - sometimes simple piecing and quilting let the beautiful fabrics speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty! I understand that it was hard to let this one go. Have fun making one for yourself, too...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perfect! Quilt is beautiful and I can see why you love that stack so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really pretty! Love the simplicity too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous collection of low-volume prints. I love what you did with them: simple and sophisticated. Happy BQF!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful quilt & I love the pieced back!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a beautiful quilt...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete