Friday, April 13, 2012

Sew Fun February Blocks

IMG_0607


I'm still playing more catch up, and I fear I will be for a little while. Again in the new Sew Fun Bee I had my February blocks way overdue. I think part of my hang up here was my lack of browns and blues in my stash. I think I need to work on that. I ended up pulling out my massive scrap bin and dumping it on the floor to find just the right fabrics for these blocks.

IMG_0606

Dustin asked us to make four traditional Log Cabin blocks for him. He wanted the center and each of the surrounding logs to be cut to 1" - meaning tiny strips. I love working with tiny pieces so this was right up my alley. Each block should end up around 6.5" unfinished.

IMG_0605

IMG_0604

The coolest thing about these blocks is the way he wanted us to play with color. Dustin asked for two brown blocks, one brown / blue and one brown / black or gray but he wanted us to set the contrasting colors on the diagonal. I'll admit I was a little confused by what he wanted from the brown on brown block, but another member of our group posted hers with a contrasting dark brown / light brown or cream combo and Dustin commented that they were perfect so I followed suit.

IMG_0603

They actually finish over 6.5" but I wanted to give Dustin a little more to play with just in case. They were a lot of fun and my iron got a workout making these. Hope you like them Dustin!

2 comments:

  1. They look great, but all that brown would have totally thrown me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are really great looking. i love the color combinations.

    ReplyDelete