Monday, April 30, 2012

Kyoto Dresses

IMG_0661


My To Do List keeps getting smaller and smaller. And let me tell you, it's a relief. It's still pretty hefty, but it's getting to the point where the items on the list read more like a "Wish List" than an "Obligation List". I just took on too many commitments for a while there, even though I promised myself I was going to stream line things. That's how projects like these dresses for my nieces got pushed back from holiday gifts to birthday gifts, now to "Surprise! Here's a random gift for just being you!" gifts. 


Untitled

Around Thanksgiving (in November) I bought the super-cute Kyoko pattern (and several others) in a massive online clearance sale. I bought the coordinating fabrics for the dresses in a massive Thanksgiving fabric sale and I actually made some progress on their construction in the weeks between Thanksgiving and the holidays. And then things got in the way, namely work. Unfortunately they didn't get finished in time and then they got put on the back burner.


IMG_0669


IMG_0659


I finally dusted them off and got back to business on them last week. I don't know why it took me so long to finish them. This pattern is a dream. It's very easy, and super quick - especially if you choose not to line them. Yeah, I skipped that step too. Just making two at the same time was enough. Lining them would have been tantamount to making four and I just didn't have that in me when I started them. I did use my overlock foot to finish the seams, and let me tell you, I will never go back to zig zagging finishes. If you haven't discovered the wonders of your overlock stitch, dust off your foot and take it for a spin.


IMG_0665

IMG_0664


IMG_0663


Oh! Aren't they adorable?! I can't wait to see my nieces in them! I only wish I had been able to finish them before I went up to see them the other week. Seriously, if you're looking for a cute and easy dress for a little girl I would definitely recommend the Kyoko. The most time consuming part of the construction is making and attaching the bias binding, but it adds such a fabulous finished look to the dresses. Now, it's time to knock a few more items off the list so I can get to work on some stuff just for me. And I've got more than a few items on that list, in fact, my husband has been asking for a new quilt for our living room. One large enough for us to cuddle under when we're sitting on the couch. I may have won him over to the dark side!

3 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! Is the fabric knit? I have to admit I don't even know what an overlock stitch is! I will have to google it.
    I also have that Liverpool pattern sitting in my pile. I've since used the fabric for other things so I need to find new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they're fab! Good luck beating that list down more...

    ReplyDelete