Monday, June 20, 2011

Runner Troubles

IMG_5348

I promise that a review on spray basting will be coming soon but I guess I am glad that I have waited to get a few more projects under my belt before reviewing because I rand into my first bit of trouble. I take full responsibility for my own stupidity. I should have known better, especially working with linen. But I thought I was being clever.

IMG_5405

I laid out my hexies on top of the linen piece that I was planning to use as the top of my table runner. That's when I got this *bright* idea to use spray baste to adhere the hexies to the linen rather than sew them in place. There was a reason that made perfect sense to me. I wanted the stitching I used to tack the hexies down to also act as quilting. The less stitches the better, right? The spray basting actually wasn't the problem here. The spray baste worked well to adhere the hexies to the linen and to make my quilt sandwich. I think the same problem would have occurred if I had hand basted them on instead.

IMG_5346

I made my quilt sandwich and then I started quilting the runner, beginning with the hexies to secure them in place. Then life got in the way and I folded the runner up and put it aside until I could get back to working on it this weekend. I pulled it out and laid it down and discovered that the linen had shifted and not refused to lie flat in between the two group of stitched down hexies!. Arugh! In hindsight it makes sense but in the moment I was frustrated and left with two options; 1) Rip out the quilting of the smaller group of hexies or 2) Cut off the small group and make the runner smaller. I ended up opting for Option #2 because, honestly, I have been stressing over the length of the runner overall. When I put out a general request to find out a desired runner length I didn't get an answer from my partner but others chimed in and seemed to want runners shorter than I had designed so I chopped.

IMG_5543

I still really love how it's turning out overall despite the issues I had. I am using variegated yellow Gutterman 100% Cotton thread to quilt it. And I'm getting ready to start binding. The only question now is, "What do I do with the small end that I hacked off?"

IMG_5538

13 comments:

  1. The small end could be a placemat for a coffee table maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could use it in a pillow - or a handbag - or a wallet . . . Too pretty not to use for something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely. The cut off part would make a lovely pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the dimensions of the smaller piece, but I like the idea of a pillow, or a freakin' cute mini quilt to hang on the wall in your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Placemat? One side of a pouch or little bag? It's so pretty, it'd be such a shame to waste it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm, placemat, mug rug, mini quilt? possibilities are endless. ;) its lovely! (by the way- i've never met a spray baste that I don't love...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a great pillow top to me. I really like the design for the table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe you could fancy it up with some embroidery then use it as a mini quilt like Caitlin suggested. Variegated thread=my favorite! Both parts look great so far. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like it could make a couple of sweet mug rugs...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you've done these hexies! I'd make a pillow or mini quilt with the small part.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Make it a start for an odds and ends quilt :)

    ReplyDelete