Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm back!

IMG_1941

I can't believe it's been so long since I've been able to update my blog. I am officially a married lady. We got back from our weddingmoon almost two weeks ago but I immediately started back to work on a new show and things have been intense. I barely had a moment to recover from the culture shock and jet lag and I was traveling up to Sacramento to shoot the first episode of my new show.

IMG_2352

Our Asian Adventure was amazing. We spent a few days in Bangkok getting all of our paperwork in order for the wedding before heading up to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. Once there we relaxed, explored the city and took a Thai cooking class until our wedding day.

IMG_2610

The wedding was really special. Our wedding planner was incredible and had everything organized perfectly from the clothing to the flowers to the food to the music. It was an all day event. She picked us up at our hotel at 5 am and we didn't get home until after 10 pm that night. The only thing missing were our friends and family.

IMG_2692

The day after our wedding we headed to Northern Laos, where we stayed through Christmas before venturing into Myanmar (Burma) for ten nights. The experience in Myanmar changed us. It wasn't your typical honeymoon spot, for sure, but I have never met more generous, friendly, kind people. The people of Myanmar live under one of the worst governments in the entire world. There are reports of genocide and forced labor camps. These people have absolutely nothing and yet they will chase you down if you drop change on the ground to return it. We were greeted with genuine smiles and discovered a sense of inner peace that I have never experienced before. We were truly saddened when it was time to return to Bangkok and then home.

I am happy to be back, but Burma and it's people have forever changed me. I hope that your holidays were as magical as mine and I wish everyone a very Happy New Year!

7 comments:

  1. Your wedding looks beautiful Hollie. I can't imagine how amazing a trip and wedding like that must have been. Many blessings for the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Congratulations! It sounds like you had an amazing experience. Good luck with the new chow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Hollie! The top photo is SO beautiful. They all are, but I really love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! looks like it was an amazing time. The photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It looks AMAZING! The hubs and I got married overseas as well, in Vienna. It was the perfect wedding for us, as opposed to a giant overpriced affair at home. : )

    Myanmar is high on our travel wish list, I really hope to get there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you looked beautiful! And happy! I'm so glad it so memorable and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how did I miss this post earlier?!? Congratulations! :)

    So beautiful. I have traveled to Tibetan China... I imagine it might have been a similar experience to Myanmar in many ways. Definitely life changing.

    I live up by Chico... what are you working on in Sac?

    ReplyDelete