Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Dozen Quilters November Project

I am finally caught up in A Dozen Quilters Bee. Phew. Now I can just focus on my bee commitments for December this weekend. Jenny picked our project for the month of November and asked each of us to create a stocking that is going to be donated to St. PJ's Children's Home in San Antonio, Texas. Each stocking will be given to a child at the home. We were also asked to donate a gift card that can be used to buy gifts to fill said stocking.

P1030684

I don't have a lot of holiday fabric in my stash since we celebrate Chanukah in our home but I did have some fuzzy red and white fabric left over from an old project so I was inspired to make a Santa Claus themed stocking. Speaking honestly, it's not my best work. I was up against the clock trying to get it finished and sent in time so it's more plain than I would have liked but it was a quick and easy project. I was able to whip it up in a half hour.

Basically I folded the red fabric in half (right sides together) and I drew an outline of a stocking on one side freehand using chalk. Once I was happy with the shape I pinned around the inside of the lines. This fabric is really slippery and the fuzz gets everywhere so make sure you clean your machine afterwards!


P1030676

I stitched from one end of the stocking around to the other, leaving the top open, then I trimmed the excess fabric off with my rotary cutter. Then I measured the top of the stocking and measured out one long piece of the white fabric to be the same size (adding an extra 1/2" for seam allowance) and I sewed the two ends closed using a 1/4" seam.

Then I turned up a "hem" on one side and finished the hem before I sewed the white trim onto the top of the stocking, finally turning the white trim out to finish it off. Super quick and easy and now it's off to brighten some child's Christmas.

P1030686

If you have a moment, take the time to give back this holiday season. It only takes a moment to brighten a stranger's day! Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment