Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Machine Problems

I have so many UFOs on my plate right now, but I couldn't resist starting a small project for me. I recently got a new laptop so I wanted to make myself a laptop cover to protect it. I thought this would be a quick and simple project, but it seems that nothing is quick and simple in my life right now.


I started by dipping into my coveted Echino stash to find just the right print. I pilled some fusible fleece for the padding, some neutral linen for the lining and a matching invisible zipper to seal it up. Then I encountered a problem... I don't have a zipper foot on my little Janome and the one from my Baby Lock isn't compatible so I always attach zippers with my Baby Lock. Unfortunately the foot arm on my Baby Lock has come loose and won't keep a proper needle position. It shifts all the way from here...


... To here...


Notice how the needle position skews from the back of the foot to the front of the foot? And when I try to center the needle into the right position it won't stay in place. Problem is, I haven't been able to figure out how to tighten the foot arm. Any ideas? Have you experienced anything like this? I am probably missing something stupid. Let me know if you have any suggestions otherwise I see a trip to Tanner's for a tune up in my future. She's about due anyway.

P.S. I've been noticing some bad links to some photos in older posts so I've been trying to clean things up around here. I hope this hasn't resulted in anyone getting sent links or updates to old posts. If you see something weird or bothersome please let me know. I'm about 1/3 of my way through the cleanup.

6 comments:

  1. Tanner's...Ian will make sure it's fixed. I hate it when I have to make a desperate run down there :) And get thyself a new zipper foot while you're there, you won't lose much sewing time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is the needle flipped inside the chamber correctly? I know my needles only fit one way but maybe your machine allows a flip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only see the last photo of the needle, not the first needle photo. hope you figure it out.... when is the last time you took your machine apart and cleaned it? not just the bobbin area but up by the arm too? maybe lint/threads got stuck in there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, what a PITA. You don't have to use a zipper foot for your zippers really. You can use one with an open foot and just scoot the needle over as close as possible to the zipper. Good luck solving your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. does the needles actually slide around between the first and second picture positions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boo to machine problems! I think when we suddenly have 2 machines to play with and one is used for all the 'challenging' stuff, it throws us totally when we have to use the other one again for a while! Good luck with getting a solution

    ReplyDelete