Wednesday, November 30, 2011

FTLOS Redux

IMG_6804

My husband often complains that I am too nice. I like to make people happy, even complete strangers when I can, so when I heard the call go out for Angels in the FTLOS Swap I answered, despite my insane schedule. Megan paired me up with Charlotte since her partner went AWOL somewhere along the way. And for a moment I thought the pressure of turning around a spectacular and desired swap package in a short amount of time might prove too much for me. But I approached her as I would any other partner in any other swap - except this time I didn't post teaser pictures.

IMG_6799

Charlotte had a couple things on her wish list, but the one that stood out to me the most was a floor cushion. I have never made anything like this before but it seemed like the thing she wanted the most so I decided to try it.

IMG_6795

Her favorite solid is Kona Orange so I ran over to my favorite LQS, Sew Modern, and picked up some Kona Orange along with some coordinating shades of orange and neutral solids and threw in some Robin Egg Blue for a pop of color.

IMG_6779

I decided that paper piecing was the way to go with this one and I started by drafting two circle patterns in the size I wanted. Then I traced out the pie slices so that all the points met in the middle and cut the circles into four pieces. I did make one stupid mistake, though... In my haste (but if I'm being honest it's actually due to my aversion to math) I forgot to account for the 1/4" seam in each of my quadrants so my points didn't end up as perfect as I imagined.

IMG_6798

I added a zipper along the side for easy stuffing. And since I was custom making this round floor pillow without a form, and I was shipping her overseas, I couldn't send her stuffed but I thought the zipper would be the perfect way for Charlotte to be able to stuff it herself. I used crumpled pages from a magazine to simulate the stuffing for my photos, so it really won't be that lumpy in reality.

IMG_6797

I also tried making my own fabric covered buttons for the very first time and, let me tell you, I am in love! They were so incredibly easy. I see many more of these in my future.

IMG_6800

Since I wanted to treat Charlotte as I would any other swap partner, I added some extras to the package including some fabric and sewing tools I hope she could use. Thankfully my package made it safely across the pond to Charlotte. And I discovered later that this was her first swap experience, so I hope that it doesn't sour her thoughts on online swapping. I really had a blasy making this for her. It got me out of my comfort zone and I learned a lot. If you envision it, you can create it. Enjoy Charlotte!

6 comments:

  1. This is great! I love your color selections, and I totally agree with you on covered buttons. Once you have done them, they are so easy! There's practically no point in agonizing over matching buttons ever again in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! Love the cushion. I recently tried covered buttons and share the love..so professional looking right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, what a fab package, and great idea with the paper piecing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome Hollie! I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cushion!! I might have to commission you to make one for me... the button in the center is really cute too. I love making those little guys and even used to make jewelry from them. Maybe I'll bring supplies in January! :)

    ReplyDelete