Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yasmine's Quilt Top

My dear friend, Yasmine, is having her second baby in March and it’s another boy! I usually make my pregnant friends crocheted baby afghans but now that I’ve learned a brand new skill I’ve decided to start making quilts instead. I’m not going to give up crocheting. I just find it’s easier and quicker for me to complete a quilt than an afghan right now. Yasmine’s theme for this little one is “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” so I’ve been searching for some cute fabrics that reflect this theme. And let me tell you, it wasn’t easy. At first I wasn’t thrilled with the fabric choices I made (do you sense a theme here?) but now that I’ve finished the quilt top I’ve feeling a lot better.

Yasmine's Quilt Top 1

I think it’s really coming together. My goal was to have it finished for her baby shower on Saturday, but the night I had set aside to finish the quilt top turned into a late night at the office so that didn’t happen. The baby’s not due until March 15th so I still have time, thankfully. Here’s the finished quilt top. I got inspiration for the design from I’m Just a Guy Who Quilts. I just adored his quilt. My quilt keeps with the “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” theme and I used a lightweight denim to tie in the blues and give the quilt a more masculine feel.

Yasmine's Quilt Top 2

I must admit I did start out cutting 6” squares and then realized that I messed up on several stacks cutting them only 4” so I had to cut all my squares down to 4” to match. We all learn from our mistakes, right? I spent Sunday afternoon making my quilt sandwich but ran out of safety pins when I reached the final corner, ugh! I don’t think I’m going to have time to start quilting it until the weekend after next so this project is on hold for a moment. Although maybe I can get an hour or two in on Valentine’s Day (if my wonderful and amazing fiancé doesn’t mind).

Yasmine's Quilt Top 3

No comments:

Post a Comment