Friday, January 22, 2010

Quilting Woes

When I was 12 years-old I was turned onto our local chapter of 4-H. I was inspired to join 4-H when I learned about their quilting class so I signed up, only to be turned away from the Quilting Project because the demand was so high and the class was already full with renewing members. Instead I joined the Sewing Project. Here I honed m sewing skills and learned new ones. I created clothing and other projects that I showed at the county fair and at 4-H fashion shows and my skills improved and my sewing flourished. Despite all this, every year I tried to gain access to the Quilting Project and every year I was denied so I never got to learn how to quilt.

To this day I have always maintained the desire to learn this skill. I looked into quilting classes here and there, sometimes finding ones that looked promising but I could never quite find the time in my busy work schedule to fit a series of classes in. Then I discovered the Urban Craft Center. (Actually my wonderful and amazing fiancé found it tucked away in the back of a shopping center near our house.) And for months I kept watch over their class listings for their quilting class offerings and the timings just never seemed to work out. Then for Chanukah said wonderful and amazing fiancé got me a gift certificate to the Urban Craft Center and I looked at their January schedule and saw that they happened to be offering their Coin Stacked Quilt class at the end of the month so I signed up! Woo Hoo! I’m finally going to learn how to quilt. It’s about time!

1 comment: