Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Marathon Quilt: Month Seven

Thank you so much for the support I've been getting from a lot of you over the past few days. It really means a lot to me. I've always used my sewing as not only a way to express myself artistically, but also as therapy to help me work through things in my personal and professional life. I've often explained my craft to people who don't get it that it's the one outlet I've found in my life that allows me to completely unplug from the rest of the world. When I'm in front of my machine I have to concentrate on the task at hand or else I start to make mistakes. It forces me to focus on one thing, not many things at the same time like I have to do in the rest of my life. 


Untitled

This weekend my husband and I went up to San Francisco for a couple nights for a Holiday work dinner for him. Our flight was delayed getting up there so I had several hours in the airport to work on my marathon quilt. I didn't post a six month update, and that's because I really didn't have anything to show for it. I made little to no progress on the quilt during October, but I was able to make quite a bit of progress this month. Now, seven months into the quilt, I have nearly 12 blocks completed. And I pieced six of the completed blocks together, which was a little challenge. Woo Hoo!


Untitled

I often get asked how big I'm making this quilt. When I started I had visions of a King Sized monster for our bed, but now my answer has changed. And it's simple. I don't know. I don't know how big this quilt wil end up being, all I know is that when it's the right size, I'll stop. I realize now, having it on our bed really won't be practical. Our dog loves to get up on the bed with his messy paws and I don't want it ruined. But I do want it used because, ultimately that's the main purpose of making a quilt. 


Untitled

So, I'm seven months in, with no end in sight. But that's okay. I'm in no rush, and I'm still not sick of it. I still find myself with a deep desire to work on it all the time, even though it often gets marginalized because there are so many "Have To" projects on my list. Hopefully, the husband and I will be taking another road trip over the holidays, so that means more time for hand sewing. Yippee!

7 comments:

  1. It's looking great! I missed seeing you last night at the LAMQG meeting, so it's extra nice to see what you're up to here! {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be just stunning, no matter what size! I'm already loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking great so far, and hey, everyone needs some calming, long term projects

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you've been working on this for seven months. It seems like just yesterday when you took on this project. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look great, and kudos for doing this by hand. EPP it looks like? I totally agree with you about needing to be totally focused in front of your sewing machine. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to unpick something because I let me mind wander or because I was overtired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this is fab! Is this a double wedding ring quilt? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so nice, great colors. Coming along so well!

    ReplyDelete