Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Scrappy Trout Quilt Top

So I have slowly been starting to sew again. In fact, this past weekend I took four wonderful days and disappeared off the grid with a few friends so we could spend some quality time together and sew. I had two sewing goals for the weekend: Get caught up on Bee Blocks and finish my Scrappy Trip Along Quilt Top. I started my Scrappy Trout (nicknamed the Trout Quilt by my friend Melissa because the it reminded her of fish scales, which I thought was cool) quite a while ago intended for our couch, but when my husband saw it he really loved it and asked if we could put it on our bed. That meant I needed to make it larger. Then it got pushed to the side as my Spring and Summer started to turn our world upside down. The only sewing I have been able to do at all this entire Summer was commission work with deadlines. And that was quite a chore in my condition. 

Scrappy Trout Quilt Top

When I started to prep for our girls weekend I made a conscious decision to leave all my commission work at home. Let's just call that Work (capital 'W'), since I can't really go back to my real job right now so it's my only source of income at the moment. Instead I only projects I wanted to work (lowercase) on, meaning my Scrappy Trout, my Marathon Quilt, and some delayed bee blocks. 

Untitled

The weekend was a complete success! I had lots of laughs, great times with my friends and I came home with an (almost) completed quilt top. I say almost, because, even though it's pretty much the perfect size for our King bed, I decided that I really want to add a solid border. I just love the way these quilts look with a sold border around them. I really think it takes the quilt to another level. So it's almost done. And I feel such a sense of accomplishment, especially since I haven't been able to sew much in the past several months. I can't wait to see this one completed!

8 comments:

  1. It is so beautiful! And, pssst... There were only six squares per row. :) Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I am jealous of your robust gray stash. I definitely wouldn't have enough different prints to make this quilt. Working on it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for some 'you' sewing time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous. Sewing time with a few ladies?? Sounds like a dream! I am excited you got to w-ork on some projects for YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in your scrappy trip - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete